I've been involved in software development at a hobby-level for the last ten years, and professionally for the last four. I started with Windows command line scripts and learning web technologies. From there I moved into Python and basic game design with Java's OpenGL bindings. I spent several years providing technical support to charities, and through my involvement with their websites moved into working with PHP and managing Wordpress environments. In recent years, most of my new application work is in Node.js running in containerised environments such as Kubernetes running on CoreOS, but I still regularly deal with legacy systems. During my work with web servers, I developed an interest in cryptography and gained extensive experience in deploying TLS, DNSSEC, DANE, DKIM and related domain security protocols. In the same vein, I frequently deal with IETF standards, and I work with people from GitHub and Google to diagnose and report browser bugs.
Project Lead DiviSpace—DiviSpace is an under-construction high-availability WordPress Multisite hosting platform backed by Google App Engine.
- Designed an extensive support plugin to patch areas of WordPress core that lack support for Google's standard environment.
- Worked with a diverse, highly asynchronous team to develop and refine a major product overhaul.
- Brought their aging codebase and complex build system into line with modern development standards.
- Ensured that documentation was regularly maintained and remained meaningful to the community throughout the overhaul.
- Negotiated with the community to integrate their bug reports and feature requests into our roadmap.
- Engaged in dispute resolution with the community when public sentiment surrounding our delayed timeline deteriorated.
IT Manager Queensland Conservation Council—QCC coordinates around sixty environmental advocacy groups in Queensland, Australia.
- Ensured that their operational requirements continued to be met after a sudden and severe staff turnover.
- Coordinated the urgent deprecation of expensive legacy infrastructure to mitigate insolvency risk.
- Supported campaign staff in day-to-day operations during organisational rebuilding.
Lead Developer NetVend—NetVend was a project to create a neutral social network based on Bitcoin micro-payments.
- Assisted in architectural design and white paper development.
- Built the original prototype in PHP, and further reference client implementations in various languages.
- Ran a number of community engagement sessions on Reddit to foster community interest in the project.
- Submitted a funding proposal in response to a tender for new social technologies to support the Bitcoin community.
Contributor Various Open Source Projects—I contribute to a number of open source projects, including writing rulesets for HTTPS-Everywhere, writing code for Babel and filing bugs with the Google Chrome team.
Editor and Email Support Agent Wikimedia Foundation—I contribute to our article peer-review, counter-vandalism, and long-term abuse prevention projects. More recently, I've been supporting the Wikimedia Foundation through privileged access to their email support queue. I primarily work with article-subjects to de-escalate complex legal threats and resolve complaints within the bounds of our editorial policies.
Volunteer Various Charities—Due to family connections, I have a significant history of charity volunteering experience, including technical support for The Wilderness Society and the Australian Marine Conservation Society, and on-the-ground supporter engagement at the Woodford Folk Festival.
Bachelor of Computer Science (incomplete) La Trobe University—I started at La Trobe University this year, and I'm completing second and third-year subjects as part of an accelerated program. The quality and difficulty of the program has been somewhat underwhelming, so I am planning to move on to greener pastures in 2019 – possibly a Software Engineering degree elsewhere, to help sure up my project management skills.
Exchange Returnee AFS Intercultural Programs—I lived in Ahmedabad, India for ten months on a homestay high-school student exchange program, while receiving world-class training in intercultural communications and global citizenship.