Energetic and affable software engineer with 4+ years of professional experience developing robust code, backed by a further 6 years of hobby experience, and a strong affinity for self-motivated learning. With a broad range of technical and non-technical skills, I can move from liaising with customers to tweaking user-interfaces, reconfiguring server cryptography, optimizing kernel network parameters, and back. I seek to balance business concerns with managing technical debt while working collaboratively with an engineering team to achieve on-time delivery with happy customers and happy engineers.
- Worked with a diverse, highly asynchronous team to develop and refine a major product overhaul.
- Brought an aging codebase and complex build system into line with modern development standards.
- Ensured that documentation was regularly maintained and remained meaningful to the community throughout the overhaul.
- Negotiated with the community to integrate their bug reports and feature requests into the product roadmap.
- Engaged in dispute resolution with the community when public sentiment surrounding our delayed timeline deteriorated.
IT Manager Queensland Conservation Council—QCC coordinates around sixty environmental advocacy groups in Queensland, Australia.
- Ensured that their operational requirements continued to be met after a sudden and severe staff turnover.
- Coordinated the urgent deprecation of expensive legacy infrastructure to mitigate insolvency risk.
- Supported campaign staff in day-to-day operations during organisational rebuilding.
- Assumed non-technical responsibilities to ensure member services and supporter engagement continued to operate.
Lead Developer NetVend—NetVend was a project to create a neutral social network based on Bitcoin micro-payments.
- Assisted in architectural design and the development of a white paper.
- Built the original prototype in PHP, and further reference client implementations in various languages.
- Conducted a number of community engagement sessions on Reddit to foster community interest in the project.
- Submitted a funding proposal in response to a tender for new social technologies to support the Bitcoin community.
Contributor Various Open Source Projects—
- Developed Upriver, a tool to work-around the lack of a GitHub feature to keep forks synced with upstream.
- Wrote code and unit tests for Babel's new minifier project, and rulesets for HTTPS-Everywhere.
- Filed regular user-interface bugs with the Google Chrome team.
Editor and Email Support Agent Wikimedia Foundation—
- Peer-reviewed a broad range of articles and worked to improve coverage of technical subjects.
- Investigated abuse reports and took appropriate steps to ensure the safety and integrity of the project and its community.
- Negotiated with article subjects to de-escalate legal threats and resolve complaints within the bounds of editorial policy.
Volunteer Various Charities—
- Provided technical and occasional administrative support to The Wilderness Society and the Australian Marine Conservation Society.
- Assisted the Australian Marine Conservation Society with on-the-ground supporter engagement at the Woodford Folk Festival.
Bachelor of Computer Science (incomplete) La Trobe University—
- Completed the first year of an accelerated entry program with distinction (expected, some results pending).
- Developed low-level software skills optimising a real-time physics simulation in C++ for modern x86 processors using multi-threading and SSE.
- Solidified grounding in engineering design, computational algorithms, network engineering, linear algebra, and group theory.
Exchange Student AFS Intercultural Programs—
- Lived in Ahmedabad, India for ten months on a homestay high-school student exchange program.
- Completed world-class training in intercultural communications and global citizenship.
- Attended the 2015 Amity International Model United Nations Conference in New Delhi as a Futuristic General Assembly delegate.